Last week, Hope attended her first board meeting, for Mirai no Mori (MnM).
This not-for-profit (NPO) organization was founded in 2011 and I became auditor in 2015.
Our mission is to create life-changing outdoor programs for Japanese children living in care homes, supporting their growth into happy and successful young adults.
Who does MnM support?
According to Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare, almost 30,000 children and young adults reside in approximately 600 social welfare facilities across the country.
These abused, neglected, and orphaned youth have few opportunities to experience life outside the care home system. They suffer from trauma, lost innocence, and low self-esteem. Their bleak beginnings lead to cycles of low income and social disadvantage.
MnM provides safe, professional and fun life-changing experiences for these marginalized youngsters.
What does Mirai no Mori do?
We run adventure programmes for under-valued boys and girls to develop self-esteem and build trust.
- Summer and Winter camps: 5 days of healthy play and discovery, with proven psychological benefits.
- Back to Nature weekends: hands-on projects such as re-forestation and beach cleaning, where kids learn about themselves while “giving back” to nature.
- Leader in Training: older kids in care have the opportunity to develop life skills by becoming camp leaders.
More about Leader in Training
Our board members are particularly excited to see the development of Leader in Training, which invites previous camp participants to rejoin as leaders, guiding younger kids through camp.
The programme is designed to build work ethic and English ability, and strengthen personal character – supporting the LIT’s successful transition to adult life, beyond the care home.
Can you help?
You can support our small, local NPO in a variety of ways:
- Donate cash
- Volunteer at one of our fund-raising events
- Bring a group of friends to one of our fund-raising events
- Volunteer at one of our camps
- Arrange a fund-raising event at your company / for your friends
- Provide in-kind products for outdoor programmes
- Provide in-kind support for our office (staff of one, Executive Director, Kozue)
- Join our board
Please drop me a line if you’d like further information.
Our hard-working Executive Director, Kozue (email@example.com ) would love to hear from you, too.
We’re looking forward to taking Baby Hope on a Mirai no Mori adventure weekend when the time is right!
Mirai no Mori HERE
Donate cash HERE